News - 18 January 201701/01/0001
Launch of ‘JCTLM TEP website’
18 January 2017
Launch of ‘JCTLM TEP website’
The Joint Committee for Traceability in Laboratory Medicine (JCTLM) today launches its Traceability, Education and Promotion (TEP) website. The purpose of the website is to provide information and resources to demonstrate the importance of traceability in laboratory medicine (TLM) as a driver for accurate patient results.
The JCTLM was established in 2002 through a declaration between the International Bureau of Weights and Measures (BIPM), the International Federation of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine (IFCC) and the International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation (ILAC) in response to the implementation of the European Community Directive 98.79/EC on in vitro medical devices.
The aim of JCTLM is to support world-wide comparability, reliability and equivalence of measurement results in Laboratory Medicine, for the purpose of improving health care and facilitating national and international trade in in vitro diagnostic devices, by:
- promoting the concept of traceability of measurement results to the Système International d'Unités (SI) or, where necessary, to other internationally agreed references;
- evaluating reference materials, reference measurement procedures and reference measurement services for laboratory medicine with respect to conformity with appropriate international standards;
- producing educational materials and activities promoting the value of traceability in laboratory medicine and raising awareness amongst stakeholders;
- promoting close links between Reference Laboratories in Laboratory Medicine and National Metrology Institutes;
- facilitting the identification and prioritization of measurands requiring international traceability and comparability and thereby encouraging appropriate organizations to accept responsibility for the development of suitable reference methods and measurement procedures and certified reference materials;
- encouraging the in vitro diagnostic (IVD) industry to apply the agreed reference measurement systems;
- encouraging EQAS organizers to apply the agreed reference measurement systems.
More details about JCTLM, its members and the JCTLM database may be found here
The JCTLM Working Group on Traceability, Education and Promotion (WG-TEP) was established in 2016. Its aim is to produce and promote educational materials to demonstrate the value of traceability in laboratory medicine as a means to reduce between method variability in the interests of improved clinical outcomes and patient safety.
The specific roles of WG-TEP are:
- Organisation of the two-yearly JCTLM Members Meeting
- Organisation of JCTLM scientific and educational meetings, symposia and conferences
- Assessment of applications for meetings to be held with JCTLM auspices
- Production of educational materials to promote the value of traceability in laboratory medicine
- In conjunction with the JCTLM Secretariat production of the annual JCTLM e-newsletter
- Production and maintenance of a ‘traceability’ website, which contains information, resource material and regular news items about the role of traceability in laboratory medicine. This website will link to the JCTLM database and will be available to link to the websites of all JCTLM members
The website (www.jctlm.org) was launched in January 2017.